Thank you for being a thinking person and subscribing to the As If Thinking Matters Newsletter.

To see previous newsletters and comments, visit AsIfThinkingMatters.com, then click on the newsletter tab.

If you have a comment, please feel free to share your thoughts at the bottom of the blog or following each video posting. A link is provided for you to share the newsletter with others as well.

Table of Contents
Thinking Thought
Thinking Word
Dr. Wysong Blog - BEING OLD
Video Postings
     What Makes Happiness
     Sky High Chair Balancing
     Cowboys We Knew
     Older People Have Young Kids Inside Them
     Mayo Clinic Piano Fun
     World's Best Slingshotter

Thinking Thought —"One of the many things no one tells you about aging is that it is such a nice change from being young." — Unknown

Thinking Word — evanescent- \ev-uh-NES-unt\ Click for pronunciation -adjective: Liable to vanish or pass away like vapor; fleeting. --/the evanescent thought of a moment/ the evanescence of the morning mist/ It is asked how any wisdom can be so evanescent.

Dr. Wysong blog - BEING OLD

On a trip down south, I noted so many elderly folks. Cold is a stress that becomes harder to tolerate as we get older. So people like to go where they are more comfortable. The warmth, oxygen carried off the ocean, and increased vitamin D from the sun all make a person healthier and just plain feel better. I have about double the energy when I go down south.

But the benefits of heat and sun are not my point here. As I walked among so many in the twilight of their years, some scarred, most suffering some ailment, I thought about how common it is to ignore the elderly. We tend to forget that they are people too, people with the same feelings as those of us younger.

They deserve more. Inside those wrinkles, underneath their slow and unsteady gait is still the person they were when playing hop scotch on the playground.

Think about the you that is inside. Reflect on the fact that that you has not really changed from earliest memory. Yes, we gain some knowledge and experiences, but those are like wrappings. Our core selves remain the same and will remain such no matter how long we live. This is one of the strong arguments that we are (that is to say, the self-aware I is) something other than mortal and as such not subject to mortal death. (See my book, Solving The Big Questions As If Thinking Matters, to see such proofs developed much more completely.)

So don’t assume that the apparently stolid elderly person that you pass on the street is, inside, waning and infirm like their bodies may be. They deserve awe for hanging in there during a life, not disregard. Inside they carry the memories of youth and vitality that they cannot regain. They remember falling in love, having and raising children, school friends, a life of work, painful illnesses, wars, and losing those they love.

The elderly are all winners. They have run the course and, with somewhat exhausted capabilities and various inevitable infirmities, are trying to make the most of the remainder. Through their sweat and tribulations they have created the world we now all enjoy.

Pay attention to them and extend them respect, kindness, consideration for their limitations and contributions to the world, and for the real person they are inside.

Treating others as we would be treated is especially true with regard to the elderly. Every one of us will be in their shoes one day. Pay attention to them. Extend a helping hand. Visit them. Treat them with respect. Introduce yourself. Engage them. Look them in the eyes, smile like you mean it, and greet them like they are as valid as they are, real people who need love like we all do.

Video Postings

What Makes Happiness

Sky High Chair Balancing

Cowboys We Knew

Older People Have Young Kids Inside Them

Mayo Clinic Piano Fun

World's Best Slingshotter

Send your comments by clicking here!

Send this Newsletter to your friends by clicking here!

To stop receiving the As If Thinking Matters Newsletter, please click below